Share this page:

file "Coarse" Body Parts / Anatomy

7 years 3 weeks ago #2388 by Janice Spence
The ON DICS terminology project applies 2 mappings where coarse body parts are use: (1)local to provincial, and also (2) provincial to DICOM CID to support FEM.
(1) All ON DI procedure terms should have a target site for imaging (i.e. more granular mapping with some exceptions )but where not indicated these coarse body parts used for the creation of the ON DI provincial term (local to provincial):
• Upper Extremity
• Lower Extremity
• Head
• Neck
• Spine
• Chest
• Abdomen
• Pelvis
• Breast*
(2) Coarse body parts chosen to map the ON DI provincial procedure terms to DICOM CID are:
T-D0010 Entire body
T-D4000 Abdomen
T-D3000 Chest
T-D0300 Extremity
T-D1600 Neck
T-D1100 Head
T-D0146 Spine
T-D6000 Pelvis
T-04000 Breast*
*Note that for this project Breast was included as a coarse body part with the rationale that it has its own dedicated modality of Mammography

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 3 weeks ago #2385 by Jason Nagels
When I mentioned ‘relevancy’ on the call with respect to foreign priors my intention wasn’t to go down the rabbit hole of terminology. My thoughts were more along the lines of how systems that use disparate terminology dictionaries but want to ingest foreign exams, should consider the impact of the that lack of a standard terminology set could have on the ingesting PACS system.

Here at HDIRS our sites are not using a standard terminology dictionary. That means when it comes to prefetching foreign exams sometimes a wider net is cast to ensure that what is appropriate is retrieved.
In many cases, the ingesting PACS required the foreign exam to normalize to a known local procedure and modality code. The FEM device will search for one of a series of keywords in the procedure description of the foreign study. If the keyword is found, the specified keyword will be written to the foreign study. If no keywords are found, a default procedure code will be written.

This doesn’t mean the exams are relevant, but at they are at least normalized in a way that the ingesting PACS can accept.

As a side point, on the topic of relevancy, I’ve heard from multiple RADs that see a benefit to not restrict retrievals by strict relevancy. For example I’ve heard examples where a foreign shoulder CR that had imaged enough of the lung to be considered ‘relevant ‘ as a lung prior.

7 years 3 weeks ago #2384 by David Kwan
Hello,

To clarify, my comments on Friday's call was not from the perspective of CCO. CCO is does not currently have any specifications in regards to body parts for Cancer Imaging. I was speaking from experiences during work on creating the standardized D.I. Procedure Set that has been implemented by eHealth Ontario for their terminology registry. I think there has been on-going work on this procedure set, but I am not knowledgeable on current developments. I would encourage eHealth members to comment on the current editorial guidelines for the use of body parts in creating procedure codes and procedure descriptions/names.

Dave.

7 years 3 weeks ago #2383 by Linda Parisien
Hi,
The codes are coming from SNOMED CT International. I suggest that a validation of the codes should be done to make sure they are all active in the latest SNOMED CT version which is January 2017, and membership be adjusted according to usage and requirements.

7 years 3 weeks ago #2380 by Teri Sippel Schmidt
Hello CHI DI community-

On the call today there was discussion about using anatomical or "body parts" for determining relevant priors. We discussed that it would be informative material, and not normative.

But, just as an fyi and to initiate thoughts..... this is the list that we came up with for the CHI 2013 XDS Affinity Domain Implementation Guide. Now, 4 years later, wondering if everyone is still ok with it: (Dave, did CCO add/subtract/change anything?)

The set of supported coarse body parts includes:
1. Abdomen (SCTID 113345001)
2. Cardiovascular (SCTID 113257007)
3. Chest (SCTID 51185008)
4. Cervical Spine (SCTID 122494005)
5. Lower Extremity (SCTID 61685007)
6. Upper Extremity (SCTID 53120007)
7. Head (SCTID 69536005)
8. Lumbar Spine (SCTID 122496007)
9. Neck(SCTID45048000)
10.Pelvis (SCTID 12921003)
11.Thoracic Spine (SCTID 122495006)
12.Spine (SCTID 280717001)
13.Breast (SCTID 76752008)
14.Anatomical structure (SCTID 91723000) - used for entire body

Please just think about this for now... (or better yet, reply with thoughts.. :) ).

Thanks!
Teri

InfoCentral logo

Improving the quality of patient care through the effective sharing of clinical information among health care organizations, clinicians and their patients.