Share this page:

exclamation-circle eMedRec Implementation

6 years 5 months ago #3301 by Monica Hazra
Replied by Monica Hazra on topic eMedRec Implementation
Would you be so kind as to let us know the names of the systems that you are using for eMedRec. And what does this hybrid look like ? Thank you. m

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 5 months ago #3300 by Michelle Hoffe
Hi Seema,

I would be happy to share where we are in this eMedRec journey thus far.

We are quickly approaching our Accreditation Survey for 2018, and of course the requirement is that ALL service areas are implemented in Med Rec by survey in 2018. Our Health Region is quite large, 9 Acute Care sites, and at the beginning of our journey this year there was only one out the of the 9 facilities implemented in a Med Rec paper process.

Since that time, we have been working to implement eMedRec. There has been many challenges thus far. One of the biggest challenge is that we have limited Pharmacy resources, so we plan to adopt a Nursing led Med Rec process on admission (even though the long term plan would to be able to have pharmacy capacity to complete this work). Due to having a nursing led Med Rec, we have encountered many challenges, and found that at this point in time implementing the eMedRec would potentially increase nursing workload, as well as increase potential errors. This is mainly due to such tight timelines for implementation.

Therefore, we have opted to keep things as simple as possible for front line nursing staff while trying to maintain a quality Med Rec. We are moving forward with a paper/electronic hybrid within our current electronic health record. From a change management perspective, this approach allows us to build on the BPMH that is currently being entered in our electronic health record and requires little change in workflow for frontline. We suspect we will have a higher admission med rec compliance then with the eMedRec solution. Also, there is less training, resources and time needed for implementation.

During our work in the last few months, it seems there are some differing views on what eMedRec actually is. I personally, understood that to be fully electronic in Med Rec, a solution would be able to facilitate and have the capability of comparing, identifying and resolving discrepancies found between admission orders and BPMH. What I have found though, through various conversations, that some understand that the resolution of a discrepancies would still occur on a paper chart.

We are still in the midst of it all, but do plan to implement our hybrid process in January 2018........with the long term goal of eventually implementing an eMedRec solution. My takeaways would be that leadership support is a must, keep the process as simple as possible, and perseverance. I believe the eMedRec journey is still very early in its development.

Hope this helps!
Michelle

6 years 5 months ago #3296 by Seema Nayani
Replied by Seema Nayani on topic eMedRec Implementation
Hi Michelle,

Just checking in to see how your eMedRec implementation is coming along. Many on the community have been asking to hear an update, and we'd appreciate any insights you can provide.

Since your last update, what progress has been made? Any lessons learned? Any change management strategies you found especially effective?

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Seema

7 years 2 weeks ago #2467 by Seema Nayani
Hi Guy,

Yes it did work! Thank-you. I will be in touch shortly.

Kind regards,
Seema

7 years 2 weeks ago - 7 years 2 weeks ago #2466 by Guy Bujold
Replied by Guy Bujold on topic eMedRec Implementation
Completed.
Last edit: 7 years 2 weeks ago by Guy Bujold.

7 years 2 weeks ago #2465 by Seema Nayani
Hello Guy,

Interesting question. Are you able to send your contact details to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., so that I may connect with you directly?

King regards,
Seema

Moderators: Linda MonicoSeema Nayani

InfoCentral logo

Improving the quality of patient care through the effective sharing of clinical information among health care organizations, clinicians and their patients.